In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dengie like this:
DENGIE, a parish and a hundred in Essex. The parish is in Maldon district; and lies on the coast, 5 miles NE of Burnham, and 11 ESE of Maldon r. station. Post town, Tillingham, under Maldon. Acres, 3, 319; of which 1, 013 are water. Real property, £3, 675. Pop., 298. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. The land is marshy; but was famous, in Camden's time, as dairy pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £754.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is good.-The hundred contains twenty-two parishes. Acres, 72, 528. Pop., 11, 224. Houses, 2, 357.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dengie has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maldon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dengie and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dengie, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dengie".