Place:


Llanyblodwel  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanyblodwel like this:

LLANYBLODWELL, a parish in Oswestry district, Salop; on the river Tanat, near Offa's dyke, and adjacent to the boundary with Wales, 3 miles W of Llanymynech r. station, and 5½ SW by W of Oswestry. It contains the townships of Blodwell, Abertanatt, Bryn, and Llynclys; and has a post office under Oswestry. ...


Acres, 4,694. Rated property, £5,542. Pop., 1,008. Houses, 201. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Powis. Limestone is worked, and copper and lead ores are found. A lake is at Llynclys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Valne, £271.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is mainly of the 14th century; includes Norman doorway and arches; was restored in 1855; had then added to it a n octagonal tower with spire; and contains a Norman font, and monuments of the Bridgmans, the Godolphins, and others. There are an endowed school with £10 a year, and a national school. The Rev. John Parker, a very distinguished Welsh archæologist, was vicar, and bore the expense of renovating the church.

Llanyblodwel through time

Llanyblodwel is now part of Oswestry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oswestry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanyblodwel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanyblodwel, in Oswestry and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6660

Date accessed: 26th May 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanyblodwel ".