Place:


Llanwrthwl  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwrthwl like this:

LLANWRTHWL, a parish of two divisions, lower and upper, in the district of Rhayader and county of Brecon; on the river Wye, and on the Llanidloes, Rhayader, and Talyllin railway, around Doldowlod r. station, 3 miles S of Rhayader. Post town, Rhayader. Acres, 18,851. Real property of the lower div., £1,161. ...


Pop., 261. Houses, 47. Real property of the upper div., £883. Pop., 295. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Roscoe says, ''the small village and tiny church of Llanwrthwl look out from the mountain-nest of wood and heather upon the broad river below, whose course runs through woods, only allowing occasional peeps of the opposite towering hills, also belted with avenues and groups of fine trees. ''Druidical stones are on Sevenstone Common, and in other places. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £85. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Wrthwl, and is tolerable. The churchyard contains a pillar-cross. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £16.

Llanwrthwl through time

Llanwrthwl is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanwrthwl itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwrthwl, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6657

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanwrthwl ".