In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanwddyn like this:
LLANWDDYN, a village and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Bechan or Owddyn, 10 miles W by N of Llanfyllin r. station; and has a post office under Oswestry, and fairs on 8 May and 2 Oct.The parish contains the townships of Llan, Abermarchant, Garthbwlch, Rhiewargor, and Sputy. Acres, 20,190. Real property, £1,982 Pop., 529. Houses, 111. Most of the surface is moor and mountain. Slate is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Earl of Powis.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanwddyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanwddyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanwddyn, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanwddyn".