In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colne Engaine like this:
COLNE-ENGAINE, or Little Colne, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village occupies a rising-ground on the left side of the river Colne, 1½ mile WNW of Colne r. station, and 2½ ESE of Halstead; and has a post office, of the name of Colne-Engaine, under Halstead. The parish comprises 2, 444 acres. Real property, £4, 680. Pop., 627. Houses, 142. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Engaines; and passed to the Sherreves, to Colchester priory, and to the De Veres. Colne Park is a principal residence; and near it is an Ionic column by Soane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £680.* Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Colne Engaine has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Colne Engaine and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colne Engaine, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Colne Engaine".