In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wakes Colne like this:
COLNE-WAKES, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Colne and the Colne-Valley railway, 1 mile WNW of Chapel r. station, and 5¼ ESE of Halstead. It has a post office under Halstead. Acres, 1, 926. Real property, £3, 978. Pop., 535. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Wakes. Creping Hall is an old moated house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £458.* Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church is tolerable. Charities, £17.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wakes Colne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wakes Colne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wakes Colne, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wakes Colne".