Place:


Llantrisant  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llantrisant like this:

LLANTRISAINT, a parish in the district and county of Anglesey; near the river Alaw, 5 miles W of Llanerchymedd r. station. Post town, Holyhead. Acres, 4,447. Real property, £4,710. Pop., 488. Houses, 93. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Llanllibio and Llechcynfarwydd, in the diocese of Bangor. ...


Value, £813.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is dedicated to Sts. Avran, Icuan, and Sanan; and is of fair character. The name Llantrisaint signifies ''a church of three saints." A spot is here called the Tomb of Bronwen, said to have derived its name from a tradition that a queen of Ireland died or was buried at it in consequence of a blow by the hand of her husband. There are an endowed school with £18 ayear, and charities £40. Dr. Williams, ancestor of the Wynnes of Wynnestay, was rector.

Llantrisant through time

Llantrisant is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llantrisant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llantrisant in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6634

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llantrisant ".