Place:


Llansbyddyd  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llansbyddyd like this:

LLANSPYDDID, a hamlet and a parish in the district and county of Brecon. The hamlet lies on the river Usk and the Via Julia montana, 2½ miles W by S of Brecon r. station. Acres, 1,691. Real property, £1,730. Pop., 172. Houses, 35. The parish contains also the hamlets of Modrydd and Penpont; and its posttown is Brecon. ...


Acres, 8,435. Real property, £4,418. Pop., 408. Houses, 75. The property is divided among a few. Pennoyre is the seat of Col. Lloyd Watkins. There is an ancient British camp. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £100.* Patron, Marquis Camden. The church is early decorated English, in good condition; and is surrounded by old yew trees. The churchyard contains an ancient tomb, traditionally said to be that of Biychan-Breichiniog. The vicarage of Bettws-Penpont is a separate benefice. Charities, £7, and a right to send pensioners to Games' hospital at Brecon.

Llansbyddyd through time

Llansbyddyd is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llansbyddyd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llansbyddyd, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6626

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llansbyddyd ".