Place:


Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr like this:

CWM-TOYDDWR, a parish in Rhayader district, Radnor; on the rivers Elan and Wye, on the line of the Mid Wales railway, at the boundary with Brecon, 2 miles S of Rhayader railway station, and 14 miles S of Llanidloes. It contains the townships of Dyffryn-Gwy and Dyffryn-Elan; and its post town is Rhayader. ...


Acres, 32, 000. Real property, £3, 266. Pop., 798. Houses, 150. Much of the surface is hilly and mountainous. The rocks include slates and lead ore. Cwm-Elan is the seat of L. Otway, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £95. Patron, the Bishop of St. Davids. A new church was built in 1866. A school has £50 from endowment; and other charities £18.

Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr through time

Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6617

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llansanffraid Cwmteuddwr ".