In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llansanffraid like this:
LLANSAINTFFRAID, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Aberayron district, Cardigan. The village stands on the coast, 4¼ miles NE by N of Aberayron, and 11½ SSW of Aberystwith r. station; and is a subport to Abeiystwith. The parish contains also the hamlet of Llannon; and its Post town is Aberystwith. Acres, 5,443; of which 135 are water. Real property, £3,644. Pop., 1,309. Houses, 306. The property is much subdivided. Some traces exist of what is thought to have been a monastic establishment. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £91. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is good.-The subdistrict contains also seven other parishes. Acres, 31,974. Pop., 7,081. Houses, 1,645.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llansanffraid has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llansanffraid and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llansanffraid, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llansanffraid".