Place:


Llansadwrn  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llansadwrn like this:

LLANSADWRN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Llandovery district, Carmarthen. The village stands on a branch of the river Towy, 2½ miles N by W of Llangadock r. station, and 5½ SW of Llandovery; is a considerable place; and has fairs on 13 Aug. and 29 Oct. The parish comprises 7,064 acres; and its posttown is Llangadock, under Carmarthen. ...


Real property, £5,074. Pop., 1,099. Houses, 239. The property is subdivided. Abermarlias is the seat of Lady L. Foley, and occupies the site of the seat of Rhys ab Thomas. The land is hilly. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Llanwrda, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £165.* Patron, Lady L. Foley. The church is good. There are an alms house for four maiden gentlewomen, and a free school, both of them founded and endowed, in 1731, by Lady L. Cornwallis; and these and other charities have £319 a year.—The sub-district contains also the parish of Llanwrda. Acres, 11,505. Pop., 1,710. Houses, 358.

Llansadwrn through time

Llansadwrn is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llansadwrn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llansadwrn in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6613

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llansadwrn ".