Place:


Chignall St James  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chignall St James like this:

CHIGNAL-ST. JAMES, or Great Chignal, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; on an affluent of the river Chelmer, 3 miles NW of Chelmsford. Post town, Chelmsford. Acres, 908. Real property, £1, 523. Pop., 258. Houses, 54. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Mashbury, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £430. Patron, the Rev. J. G. Milne. The church is good; and there was formerly another church, dedicated to St. Mary. Charities, £12.

Chignall St James through time

Chignall St James is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chignall St James itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chignall St James, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6587

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chignall St James ".