Place:


Llanllywenfel  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanllywenfel like this:

LLANLLEON-VEL, a hamlet and a parish in Builth district, Brecon. The hamlet lies on the rivers Irvon and Dulas, 6½ miles W by S of Builth r. station. Acres, 2,834. Real property, £980. Pop., 188. Houses, 33.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Gwarafog; and it is traversed by the Sarn Helen way, sometimes called Lleon, and seemingly the origin of part of the parish's name. ...


Post town, Builth, Breconshire. Acres, 2,900. Real property, £1,327. Pop., 250. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. Garth was the seat of the Gwynnes, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £60. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church contains some murai monuments of the Gwynnes, and was reported in 1859 as not good.

Llanllywenfel through time

Llanllywenfel is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanllywenfel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanllywenfel, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6583

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanllywenfel ".