Place:


Great Canfield  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Canfield like this:

CANFIELD (Great), a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, 2 miles S of the Bishop-Stortford, Dunmow, and Braintree railway, and 3½ SW of Dunmow. It has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres, 2,472. Real property, £3,575. Pop., 468. Houses, 115. The property is subdivided. Canfield House is the seat of the Barnards. There are remains of a moated castle, built by the De Veres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £140.* Patron, J. M. Wilson, Esq. The church is tolerable; and has two brasses of the 16th century.

Great Canfield through time

Great Canfield is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Canfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Canfield, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6571

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Canfield ".