In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bowers Gifford like this:
BOWERS-GIFFORD, a parish in Billericay district, Essex; on the Tilbury and Southend railway, 1½ mile E of Pitsea station, and 7 SE of Billericay. It includes part of Canvey island; and has a post office under Chelmsford. Acres, 2,606. Real property, £3,768 Pop., 259. Houses, 48. The property is divided among a few. Bowers Hall is the seat of Mrs. Curtis. Much of the land is marshy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £564.* Patron, the Rev. Horace Roberts. The church is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bowers Gifford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basildon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bowers Gifford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bowers Gifford, in Basildon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bowers Gifford".