Place:


West Bergholt  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Bergholt like this:

BERGHOLT (West), a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Colne, near the Eastern Counties railway, 4 miles NW of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 2,273. Real property, £4,238. Pop., 906. Houses, 198. The property is subdivided. A circular entrenchment here is thought to have been the site of the residence of the British King, Cunobeline. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £600.* Patron, W. F. Hobbs, Esq. The church is good.

West Bergholt through time

West Bergholt is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Bergholt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Bergholt, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6540

Date accessed: 19th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Bergholt ".