Place:


Spennymoor  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spennymoor like this:

SPENNYMOOR, a chapelry, with a village, in Whitworth parish, Durham; on the West Hartlepool railway, 4 miles NE of Bishop-Auckland. It has a r. station with telegraph, a post-office‡ under Ferryhill, a church, and four dissenting chapels; and is inhabited chiefly by colliers and foundry-men. The statistics are returned with the parish, and the living is annexed to Whitworth.

Spennymoor through time

Spennymoor is now part of Sedgefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Spennymoor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spennymoor, in Sedgefield and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/654

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Spennymoor ".