Place:


Ashdon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashdon like this:

ASHDON, a village in Saffron-Walden district, Essex, and a parish chiefly in that district and county, but partly also in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cam, 3½ miles NE of Saffron-Walden, and 5½ ENE of Audley-End r. station; and has a post office under Cambridge. ...


Pop., 1,011. Houses, 220. The parish includes also the hamlet of Bartlow-End. Acres, 4,969. Real property, £6,969. Pop., 1,235. Houses, 270. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Viscount Maynard. A place with a fine prospect and four barrows the latter supposed to be sepulchral monuments of Danish chiefs contends with Ashingdon in Rochford district the repute of being the battlefield of Canute's victory of Assandune, in 1016, over Edmund Ironside. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £909.* Patron, Cains College, Cambridge. The church is good; and there are a Baptist chapel, and charities £21.

Ashdon through time

Ashdon is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ashdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashdon, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6519

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ashdon ".