In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arkesden like this:
ARKESDEN, a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; on an affluent of the river Stort, 2½ miles W of Newport r. station, and 5 SW of Saffron-Walden. Post-town, Newport under Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 2,320. Real property, £3,207. Pop., 506. Houses, 111. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £181.* Patron, the Rev. W. B. Wolfe. The church is very good, and contains a brass of a knight.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Arkesden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Arkesden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arkesden, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arkesden".