Llanigon  Brecknockshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanigon like this:

LLANIGON, a hamlet and a parish in Hay district, Brecon. The hamlet lies near the river Wye, the Hereford and Brecon railway, the boundary with Herefordshire, and the Black mountains, 2 miles SSW of Hay Real property, £3,459. Pop., 429. Houses, 91.—The parish contains also the hamlet of Glynfach; and its Post town is Hay, under Hereford. ...

Acres, 9,256. Real property, £3,810. Pop., 484. Houses, 104. The property is much subdivided. Llanigon House, or Llanthomas, belonged to Earl Ferrers, and passed to the Gwynes. Penyrwrlodd was the seat of the Watkinses, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £202. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Eigion, and is good. There is an endowed school, with £10 ayear; and the parish shares in Powell's charity at Brecon.

Llanigon through time

Llanigon is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanigon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanigon, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 16th July 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanigon ".