Place:


Wilmington  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilmington like this:

WILMINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Dartford district, Kent; 1½ mile S by W of Dartford r. station. It has a post-office under Dartford, and a fair on 23 April. Acres, 1,715. Real property, £6,218. Pop. in 1851, 915; in 1861, 1,058. Houses, 215. The manor belonged to Warwick the Kingmaker, and to Margaret Plantagenet, Countess of Salisbury. ...


Much of the land is disposed in gardens and cherry-orchards. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £340.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church stands on a hill, and is good. There is a national school. The antiquary Denne was vicar.

Wilmington through time

Wilmington is now part of Dartford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dartford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilmington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilmington, in Dartford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6487

Date accessed: 26th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilmington ".