Place:


Willesborough  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Willesborough like this:

WILLESBOROUGH, a village and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The village stands 1¾ mile E of Ashford r. station; and has a post-office under Ashford, and a fair on Whit-Tuesday. The parish includes Aylesford hamlet, and part of Ashford-Newtown, called Alfred-Town; and contains East Ashford workhouse. ...


Acres, 1,457. Real property, £5,302; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,022; in 1861, 1,780,-of whom 148 were in the workhouse. Houses, 320. The increase of pop. was caused by the erection, at Alfred-Town, of a railway factory for engines and carriages, and of houses for the accommodation of the workmen. The property is subdivided. Sportlands, Court Lodge, and Street End House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £182.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe church is decorated English. There is a national school.

Willesborough through time

Willesborough is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Willesborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Willesborough, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6486

Date accessed: 15th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Willesborough ".