Place:


Llanhamlach  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanhamlach like this:

LLANHAMLACH, or LLANAMMWLCH, a village and a parish in the district and county of Brecon. The vil. lage stands on the river Usk, the Brecon canal, and the Via Julia montana, under the Brecknock Beacons, and near the Hereford and Brecon railway, 3¼ miles SE of Brecon; and is a seat of petty sessions. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Llechfaen; and its Post town is Brecon. Acres, 1,867. Real property, £1,972. Pop., 304. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Bernard Newmarch, went to the Wallbeoffes, and belongs now to the Powells. Peterstone is the residence ofMyers, Esq. The remnant of a cromlech, called Ty-Illtyd, is at Manest Court. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. T. Powell. The church was rebuilt in 1802, retains the tower of a previous edifice, and is shaded by massive yew-trees.

Llanhamlach through time

Llanhamlach is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanhamlach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanhamlach, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6472

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanhamlach ".