Place:


Waltham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Waltham like this:

WALTHAM, a parish, with W. village and Handwell-Green hamlet, in Bridge district, Kent; 4 miles E by N of Wye r. station, and 7 SSW of Canterbury. Post town, Canterbury. Acres, 3,215. Real property, £3,174. Pop., 608. Houses, 118. The manor belonged once to the Knights Templar. Wadden Hall, North Lye, and Thorn are chief places. The living is a vicarage, united with Petham, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £535. Patron, alternately the Archbishop of and SirHoneywood, Bart. The church is early English and good. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Waltham through time

Waltham is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Waltham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waltham, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6466

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Waltham ".