In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangynfelyn like this:
LLANCYNFELIN, or LLANGYNVELIN, a parish in Aberystwith district, Cardigan; on the river Dyfi near its mouth, and on the Aberystwith and Welsh coast railway, near Ynys-Las r. station, 7 miles NNE of Aberystwith. It contains the village of Tre-Talyasin; and its Post town is Aberystwith. Acres, 6,556; of which 1,535 are water. Real property, £2,432. Pop., 967. Houses, 216. The property is subdivided. Traces exist of Wyddno Castle, which belonged to Gwyddno Gwranhir, who was said to have lost a large tract of land here by inundation of the sea. ...
Tre-Talyasin is believed to have been the burial-place of a famous bard; and a cairn at it, on rising-ground, is about 135 feet in circuit, and has in its centre the cistvaen or grave. Coal, limestone, marble, iron ore, and lead ore are worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Davids. Valne, £90. Patron, J. P. B. Chichester, Esq. The church is plain but good; is believed to occupy the site of one built in the 6th century; and is dedicated to St. Cynfelin.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llangynfelyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ceredigion. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llangynfelyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangynfelyn, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llangynfelyn".