Place:


Throwley  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Throwley like this:

THROWLEY, a parish in Faversham district, Kent; 4 miles SSW of Faversham r. station. It has a post-office under Faversham. Acres, 3,180. Real property, £3,573. Pop., 635. Houses, 138. The manors belong to Lord Sondes and Lord Harris. A Benedictine priory, a cell to St. Omers in France, was here; and was given to Sion abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church was restored in 1867, at a cost of £3,000. There are a Wesleyan chapel and three alms houses.

Throwley through time

Throwley is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Throwley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Throwley, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6446

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Throwley ".