Place:


Llangyndeyrn  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangyndeyrn like this:

LLANGENDEIRNE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district and county of Carmarthen. The village stands on Gwendraeth-fach rivulet, 5 miles SE of Carmarthen r. station; is a considerable place; and has a post office under Kidwelly, and fairs on 5 and 6 Aug., and 1 Nov. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bleine, Cilcarw, Glynn, Gwempa, Terracoed, and Velyndre. ...


Acres, 11,810. Real property, £9,733; of which £200 are in mines. and £96 in quarries. Pop. in 1841,2,624; in 1861,2,355. Houses, 540. The decrease of pop. arose partly from the stoppage of collieries and iron-works. The property is subdivided. Coal, iron-ore, limestone, and good marble are found. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of Pontyates, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £88. Patron, R. G. Thomas, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Cyndeyrn, and was reported in 1859 as not good. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and an endowed school with £22 a year.—The sub-district contains also five other parishes. Acres, 48,501. Pop., 9,034. Houses, 1,923.

Llangyndeyrn through time

Llangyndeyrn is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangyndeyrn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangyndeyrn in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6444

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangyndeyrn ".