Place:


Thanington  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thanington like this:

THANINGTON, a parish in Bridge district, Kent; 1 mile SW of Canterbury r. station. Post town, Canterbury. Acres, 1,212. Real property, £5,852; of which £1,805 are in gasworks. Pop., 446. Houses, 87. The property is chiefly divided between two. St. James' hospital for lepers was founded here, in the time of King John, by Archbishop Walter; and was given, in the time of Edward VI., to R. Dartnall. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £62. Patron, the Archbishop. The church is rude early English.

Thanington through time

Thanington is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thanington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thanington, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6443

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thanington ".