Place:


Llangybi Fawr  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangybi Fawr like this:

LLANGIBBY, a village, a parish, and a district-district, in Pontypool district, Monmouth. The village stands near the Roman way to Caerleon, 3¼ miles SSW of Usk r. station. and has a post office under Newport, Monmouth. The parish comprises 4,443 acres. Real property, £5,092; of which £35 are in limestone quarries. ...


Pop., 525. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. Llangibby House is the seat of W. A. Williams, Esq., and was built by Inigo Jones. Some remains exist of Llangibby Castle, which, in the time of Sir TreVor Williams, was besieged and taken by the Parliamentary forces. About ½ a mile from the castle are some slight remains of an ecclesiastical building, called Tregrwg. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £526. Patron, W. A. Williams, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Cybi, and is good. A small but neat church, for a separate charge, was built, in 1861, at Common, Coed-y-Paen. A well, arched over with very ancient masonry, is near the parish church. There are two schools.—The sub-district contains also three other parishes and part of another. Acres, 12,635. Pop., 3,620. Houses, 696.

Llangybi Fawr through time

Llangybi Fawr is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangybi Fawr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangybi Fawr in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6442

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangybi Fawr ".