Place:


Teynham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Teynham like this:

TEYNHAM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a liberty, in Kent. The village stands adjacent to the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, near a creek of the Swale, 3¾ miles E by S of Sittingbourne; was once a market-town; has a r. station with telegraph; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Curzon. ...


The parish comprises 2,333 acres of land, and 315 of water. Post town, Sittingbourne. Real property, £9,012. Pop., 919. Houses, 190. The manor was given, by Kenulf, king of Mercia, to Christchurch, Canterbury; and belongs now to Col. Tyler. A palace of the Archbishops of Canterbury was here. All the cherry-gardens and orchards of Kent are said to have been stocked with the Flemish cherry from a plantation of 105 acres in Teynham, made with foreign cherries, pippins, and golden rennets, done by the fruiterer of Henry VIII. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Archdeacon ofThe church is early English, cruciform, and good. There is a Wesleyan chapel.—The sub-district contains 10 parishes, and is in Faversham district. Acres, 15,877. Pop., 4,061. Houses, 835.-The liberty contains 3 parishes, and is in Scray lathe. Acres, 10,134. Pop. in 1851, 2,479. Houses, 498.

Teynham through time

Teynham is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Teynham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Teynham, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6439

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Teynham ".