Place:


Swalecliffe  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swalecliffe like this:

SWALECLIFF, a parish in Blean district, Kent; on the coast, 2 miles E by N of Whitstable r. station. Post town, Whitstable, under Canterbury. Acres, 1,297; of which 335 are water. Real property, £1,754. Pop., 168. Houses, 32. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £315.* Patron, Earl Cowper. There are a slightly endowed school, and a coastguard station.

Swalecliffe through time

Swalecliffe is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swalecliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swalecliffe, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6433

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swalecliffe ".