Place:


Turton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Turton like this:

TURTON, a township chapelry and a sub-district in Bolton parish and district, Lancashire. The chapelry lies 4 miles N by E of Bolton; contains Chapeltown and Oaks r. stations; and has a post-office‡ under Bolton, a workhouse, and a cattle-fair on 4 and 5 Sept. Acres, 4,110. Real property, £13,678; of which £550 are in quarries, and £40 in mines. ...


Pop. in 1851, 4,158; in 1861, 4,513. Houses, 855. The property is subdivided. There are numerous good residences. Industry is carried on in cotton-mills, print-works, bleach-works, an iron-foundry, and a paper-mill. Ancient British and Roman relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £161.* Patron, G. M. Hoare, Esq. There are four dissenting chapels, several public schools, and charities £30.—The sub-district includes two other townships, and comprises 7,080 acres. Pop., 5,459. Houses, 1,024.

Turton through time

Turton is now part of Blackburn With Darwen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackburn With Darwen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Turton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Turton, in Blackburn with Darwen and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/643

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Turton ".