Place:


Sturry  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sturry like this:

STURRY, a parish and a sub-district in Blean district, Kent. The parish lies on the river Stour, and on the Ashford and Ramsgate rallway, 2½ miles NE of Canterbury; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Canterbury. Acres, 3,089. Real property, £5,284. Pop., 1,044. ...


Houses, 240. The property is subdivided. The manor was given by Ethelbert to St. Augustine's abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £255.* Patron, the Archbishop. The church is partly Norman, chiefly later English, and all good. There are a national school, and charities £40.—The sub-district contains 6 parishes, 2 villes, and 2 Canterbury precincts. Pop., 6,467. Houses, 1,381.

Sturry through time

Sturry is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sturry itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sturry, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6426

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sturry ".