Place:


Stourmouth  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stourmouth like this:

STOURMOUTH, a parish, with a village, in Eastry district, Kent; on the river Stour at the influx of the Lesser Stour, 1½ mile E by S of Grove-Ferry r. station, and 5 NW of Sandwich. It has a post-office under Sandwich. Acres, 878. Real property, £2,607. Pop., 294. Houses, 62. The manor belongs to the Rev. J. Hilton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient. Charities, £18.

Stourmouth through time

Stourmouth is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stourmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stourmouth, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6422

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stourmouth ".