Place:


Southfleet  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southfleet like this:

SOUTHFLEET, a village and a parish in Dartford district, Kent. The village stands near Watling-street, 3 miles SW of Gravesend r. station; originated in the Roman station Vagniacæ, on Watling-street; was known at Domesday as Suthfleta; took that name and its present one from a flete or creek, which came to it from the Thames at Northfleet, but is now shut out by an embankment; is much frequented by visitors; and has a post-office under Gravesend. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of Betsam and Westwood, and the gardens of Spring-Head, famous for water-cresses. Acres, 2,340. Real property, £4,856. Pop., 717. Houses, 155. The property is divided among a few. Many Roman relics, including a milestone, a sarcophagus, earthen vessels, glass urns, trinkets, and coins, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £789.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is decorated English. There is an endowed school with £20 a year.

Southfleet through time

Southfleet is now part of Dartford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dartford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southfleet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southfleet, in Dartford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6403

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southfleet ".