Place:


Llangors  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangors like this:

LLANGORSE, a parish and a sub-district in the district and county of Brecon. The parish lies on Llangorse lake or Llyn-Savaddan, and on the river Llynvi, 3 ½ miles S of Talyllyn-Junction r. station, and 6½ ESE of Brecon; and has a post office under Hereford. Acres, 2,806. Real property, £2,2114. ...


Pop., 414. Houses, 85. The property is much subdivided. Cwrt-y-Prin belonged to Brecon priory. Llangorse lake measures about 5 miles in circuit; displays scenery of a mixedly gloomy and beautiful character; is much frequented for pikefishing and wild-fowl shooting; was fished by the monks of Brecon daily in Lent, and three days weekly during the rest of the year, under restriction of their using only one boat; and is traditionally alleged to cover the remains of a quondam city. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £160.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is dedicated to St. Palinus, has a good cradle roof, and was recently repaired. Charities, £5.—The sub-district contains also ten other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 28,322. Pop., 2,900. Houses, 594.

Llangors through time

Llangors is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangors itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangors, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6402

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangors ".