In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangernyw like this:
LLANGERNIEW, a village and a parish in Llanrwst district, Denbigh. The village stands on the river Elwy, 6¼ miles E of Tal-y-Cafn r. station, and 7 NE of Llanrwst; and has a post office under Llanrwst, Denbighshire, and fairs on 29 March, 16 May, 29 June, 29 Sept., and 29 Nov. The parish is cut into two divisions, lower and upper; and contains the townships of Bodgonwch, Bodrach, Dwy-Afon, Hafodunos, Marchalad, Branar, Nanerth, Pant-y-Manus, Pentre-Wern, and Ranhir. Acres, 7,753. Real property, £4,159. ...
Pop., 1,245. Houses, 265. The property is divided among a few. Hafodunos House, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of the Lloyds. The land is hilly; and the rocks contain lead and copper ores. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £300. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Digain, is very good, and contains monuments of the Lloyds. Charities, £23.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llangernyw has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llangernyw and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangernyw, in Conwy and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llangernyw".