Place:


Llangelynnin  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangelynnin like this:

LLANGELYNIN, a parish in Dolgelly district, Merioneth; on the coast, and on the Aberystwith and Welsh Coast railway, 4¼ miles NNW of Towyn. It is cut into two sections, lower and higher; and it contains the townships of Bodgadfan, Croggennant, Morfa, Llanfeddiged, and Llwyngwril,-the last of which has a station on the railway, and a post office under Corwen. ...


Acres, 11,004; of which 2,445 are water. Rated property, £3,588. Pop., 891. Houses, 1 97. The property is subdivided. A seat of Eduowain ab Bradwen, a chief of one of the 15 Welsh tribes, was at Croggennant. A cave at OgovOwain is said to have been a hiding-place of Owen Glendower. Cairns, tumuli, meini-heirion, and an ancient camp, called Castell-y-gaer, are on the hills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £400. Patron, R. H. J. Parry. Esq. The present church stands at Llwyngwril, and was built in 1846. The old church stands 2 miles to the S. and was restored in 1867. The charities include a school endowment. and amount to £20.

Llangelynnin through time

Llangelynnin is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangelynnin itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangelynnin, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6386

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangelynnin ".