Place:


Llangeler  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangeler like this:

LLANGELER, a village and a parish in the district of Newcastle-in-Eimlyn, and county of Carmarthen. The village stands on the river Teifi, at the boundary with Cardigan, near the Newcastle-Emlyn and Lampeter railway, and under the Penboyr hills, 5 miles E by S of Newcastle-Emlyn; and has a post office under Carmarthen. ...


The. parish is cut into two sections, lower and upper; and comprises 7,999 acres. Real property, £5,128. Pop. in 1851,1,681; in 1861,1,573. Houses, 366. The property is subdivided. Llys Newydd belonged formerly to the Lloyds, and is now the seat of W. Lewis, Esq. Dolhaidd-fach is the seat of Captain Elliot. The living is twofold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of St. David's. Value of the vicarage, £136;* of the rectory, £244. Patron of the former, the Bishop of St. David's; of the latter, St. David's College. The church is dedicated to St. Celert; was rebuilt in 1860; is in the early English style; and consists of nave and chancel, with vestry and bell-turret. A spring, called St. Celert's well, is near the church.

Llangeler through time

Llangeler is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangeler itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangeler in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6385

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangeler ".