Place:


Duxford  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Duxford like this:

DUXFORD, a parish and a sub-district in Linton district, Cambridge. The parish lies on the river Cam, near the Cambridge and London railway, between Chesterford and Whittlesford stations, 5½ miles W of Linton; and has a post office under Cambridge. Acres, 3, 132. Real property, £5, 146. ...


Pop., 841. Houses, 184. The property is subdivided. Two parishes, St. Peter and St. John, were anciently in the area; but their mutual boundary not being accurately known, they are now treated, for all civil purposes, as one parish. The livings, however, remain distinct, and are respectively a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Values, £500 and £169.* Patrons, Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and Clare Hall, Cambridge. Both churches are partly Norman. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £30. An old inn here was once a priory.—The sub-district includes six other parishes. Acres, 4, 928. Pop., 4, 772. Houses, 1, 015.

Duxford through time

Duxford is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Duxford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Duxford in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6379

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Duxford ".