Place:


Sellindge  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sellindge like this:

SELLINGE, a village and a parish in Elham district. Kent. The village stands adjacent to the Southeastern railway, ¾ of a mile E of Smeeth r. station, and 5 N Wby W of Hythe; is a scattered place; and has a post-office‡ under Hythe. The parish includes a detached portion, isolated by Dymchurch; and comprises 2,055acres. ...


Real property, £3, 843. Pop., 580. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £177.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old but good, and has a low Norman tower. There are a national school, and charities £73.

Sellindge through time

Sellindge is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sellindge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sellindge, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6355

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sellindge ".