Place:


Seal  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seal like this:

SEAL, a village and a parish in Sevenoaks district, Kent. The village stands 1½ mile E of Sevenoaks r. station; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Sevenoaks, a library and reading-room, and a fair on Whit-Wednesday. The parish contains also the hamlets of Under-River and Godden-Green, and comprises 4, 374 acres. ...


Real-property, £6, 766; of which £25 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 505. Houses, 309. The manor belonged to Williamde Bryene; passed to the Bethunes, the Marshalls, the Bigods, and others; and belongs now to the Dowager Countess Amherst. Wilderness Park is the seat of Marquis Camden; Chart Lodge, of Lord Monson; the Grove, of the Hon. Misses Boscawen; and there are severalhandsome villas. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Kemsing, in the diocese of Canterbury. The churchranges from early English to perpendicular. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £19.

Seal through time

Seal is now part of Sevenoaks district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sevenoaks has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seal, in Sevenoaks and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6353

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seal ".