Place:


St Nicholas At Wade  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Nicholas At Wade like this:

NICHOLAS (St.)-AT-WADE, a village and a parish in Thanet district, Kent. The village stands on comparatively high ground, overlooking the marshes of the Stour, 3 miles N E of Grove-Ferry r. station, and 6½ W S W of Margate; and has a post-office under Margate. The parish extends to the coast; measures about 4 miles from Eto W, and 2½ from N to S; and comprises 3, 440 acres of land, and 220 of water. ...


Real property, £8, 222. Pop., 590. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £176.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was originally a chapel of ease to Reculver; was transferred to the monks of Christchurch, Canterbury, and was rebuilt by them; is partly Norman, partly early English, partly decorated English, with interesting features; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a porch and a lofty tower; and was restored in 1863. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £94.

St Nicholas At Wade through time

St Nicholas At Wade is now part of Thanet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thanet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Nicholas At Wade itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Nicholas At Wade, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6344

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Nicholas At Wade ".