Place:


Ruckinge  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ruckinge like this:

RUCKINGE, a village and a parish in East Ashford district, Kent. The village stands on the brow of thehigh ground adjacent to the Military canal, and overlooking Romney-Marsh, 1 mile E of Ham-Street r. station, and 6 S by E of Ashford; and has a post-office under Ashford. The parish comprises 3, 445 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 721. Pop., 429. Houses, 81. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the see of Canterbury. Part of the land is under hops; part is excellent pasture; and much is under wood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £294.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English with Norman portions. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.

Ruckinge through time

Ruckinge is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ruckinge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ruckinge, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6335

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ruckinge ".