Place:


Ripple  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ripple like this:

RIPPLE, a parish in Eastry district, Kent; near the coast, 2½ miles S W of Deal r. station. Post-town, Deal. Acres, 1, 134. Real property, £2, 676. Pop., 254. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. R. House, R. Court, and R. Vale are chief residences. Traces of a Roman entrenchment are a little to the N of the church; and another ancient entrenchment, anoblong of about ½ an acre, is called Dane Pits. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £278.* Patron, J. A. Johnson, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1861; is in a mixed style, chiefly Norman; and has a tower and spire.

Ripple through time

Ripple is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ripple itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ripple, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6328

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ripple ".