Place:


Ringwould  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ringwould like this:

RINGWOULD, a village and a parish in Dover district, Kent. The village stands on high ground near the coast, 3 miles S S W of Deal r. station; is a member of the cinque port liberty of Dover; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Dover. The parish contains also the hamlet of Kingsdown; and comprises 1, 657 acres of land, and 110 of foreshore. ...


Real property, £5, 828. Pop., 846. Houses, 185. The property is divided among a few. There are vestiges of a Roman camp. Fishing is largely carried on; and there is a coast-guardstation. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £505.* Patrons, the Monins family. The church is handsome. The p. curacy of Kingsdownis a separate benefice. There is a national school.

Ringwould through time

Ringwould is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ringwould itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ringwould, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6327

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ringwould ".