Place:


Preston Next Faversham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Next Faversham like this:

PRESTON-NEXT-FAVERSHAM, a parish in Faversham district, Kent; on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, at Faversham r. station, adjacent on the Sto Faversham. Post-town, Faversham. Acres, 1, 547. Real property, £6, 327. Pop. in 1851, 1, 135; in 1861, 1, 535. Houses, 297. The increase of pop. ...


arose fromemployments in connection with F. r. station. The manor was originally called Coppanstone; was given, in the 9th century, by King Kenulf, to Christchurch, Canterbury; and afterwards took the name of Priest's Townor Preston. Preston House is the seat of G. Hilton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £324.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; has a small tower; and contains a fine monument of Roger Boyle, and some brasses. Charities, £17.

Preston Next Faversham through time

Preston Next Faversham is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston Next Faversham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Next Faversham, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6321

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston Next Faversham ".