Place:


Preston by Wingham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston By Wingham like this:

PRESTON-BY-WINGHAM, a village and a parish in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands on a rising-ground, above the marshes of the Little Stour river, 1½mile S E of Grove-Ferry r. station, and 6¾ E N E of Canterbury; bears the name of Preston-street, and has apostal pillar-box under Wingham. ...


The parish comprises 1, 478 acres. Real property, £4,034. Pop., 557. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church is of the 13th and 14th centuries; was restored in 1857; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains two brasses. There are a parochial school, and charities £5.

Preston by Wingham through time

Preston By Wingham is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston By Wingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston by Wingham, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6320

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston By Wingham ".