Place:


Patrixbourne  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Patrixbourne like this:

PATRIXBOURNE, a parish, with a village, in Bridge district, Kent; on an affluent of the river Stour, and on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, adjacent to Bekesbourne station, 3 miles S E by E of Canterbury. Post-town, Canterbury. Acres, 1, 637. Real property, £3, 583. Pop., 228. Houses, 48. ...


The manor was held, at Domesday, by Bishop Odo; was given, in 1200, to Beanlieu abbey, in Normandy, in connection with a cell to that abbey founded then at the church; passed to Merton abbey; went, after the Reformation, to the Says and others; passed to the Cheyneys; and, with Bifrons mansion, belongs now to the Marquis of Conyngham. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bridge, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £350.* Patron, the Marquis of Conyngham. The church is Norman; consists of nave, aisles, and two chancels, with tower and spire; has three E circular headed windows, with a finerose wheel; was restored interiorly in 1857: and contains a handsome carved altar-piece, and a fine marble monument to the late Marquis of Conyngham.

Patrixbourne through time

Patrixbourne is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Patrixbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Patrixbourne, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6311

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Patrixbourne ".