Place:


Oare  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oare like this:

OARE, a village and a parish in Faversham district, Kent. The village stands on a creek of the Swale, 1¾mile N by W of Faversham r station; and has a post-office under Faversham. The parish extends to the Swale; has a ferry over it, to the Isle of Harty; and comprises 686 acres. Real property, £1, 613. ...


Pop., 217. Houses, 32. The manor and most of the property belong to G. Gosselin, Esq. There are a coast-guardstation, and oyster beds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £183.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English, of flint and stone; consists of nave and chancel, with wooden tower; and contains a very old square granitefont. There is a parochial school.

Oare through time

Oare is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oare itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oare, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6301

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oare ".